Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2000 22:08:02 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sun's web site

Arun Sharma said on Aug 17, 2000 at 07:19:30:

> I see two reasons why BSD is a separate entity, as opposed to being
> "merged" with linux (people may disagree here):
>
> 1. Different development model
> 2. Different licensing model
>
> I think they're both equally important.

Yes, but one needs a good desktop environment for desktop use, and
twm doesn't cut it.  One has to either accept GPL'd software for
such things, or duplicate that entire effort with a BSD license.

> So the new corporate wisdom seems to be - a dead open source project
> needs GPL in order to be revived. Let's see if the hypothesis can be
> tested in the real world.

If you're talking about Mozilla, I'm not sure it's dead; and the GPL
switch seems to be motivated partly by some recent problems in reusing
the Mozilla code with GPL'd code as in Galeon.  I agree that the GPL's
incompatibility with other legitimate "free" licenses (by the FSF's
own definition) is a problem with the GPL and not the other licenses.
But that's a different issue entirely.

Rahul.