Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 21:38:42 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Newbies <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: URL and Opinions on how to really learn something

On 21 Aug 98, at 8:26, Sue Blake wrote:

> Anything else?

Yes.  Keep a diary.  I'm pushing my own barrow here, but I don't care.
Shortly after I started using FreeBSD, I decided an online-diary would be
useful.  That's because:

1 - My handwriting is crap.
2 - I already have a website.
3 - People that were helping me out could see what I had already done.
4 - Other people could laugh at what I did (e.g. The CD-ROM Saga)
5 - I would have a good record of what I've done, and why.  Useful when it
breaks.
6 - Others would be able to read what I've done, follow the same steps,
and get it done in half the time.  OK.  I exaggerate.  1/10 the time.

All (and I repeat *ALL*) of the [FreeBSD?] documentation I have seen is
written by gurus for gurus.  There is very little which can be understood
by those that know nothing.  I hope my diary is not that way.  Because I
hope I know nothing (wait, I didn't mean that...).

I follow the questions mailing list.  Anytime I see a question which I've
already solved, I let the poster know about the diary.  Sometimes I do
this via email.  But mostly I also post it to the list.  The feedback I've
been getting has been positive (but how many would slag it off anyways?).
That "helping" is one of the aims of the site.  But mostly, it is self-
serving.  Where I can, I try to elaborate upon the tougher subjects.

There is a critical mass which must be obtained.  Once you get there,
things seem to fall into place.  For me, it's taken about 3 months.  Now
I'm finding my way around, I know where to ask for help, and I know enough
about FreeBSD to be able to answer most replies which arise from my
questions.  Compare that to when people used to ask, "Did you use the
port?".... Port?  What port?

On a side issue, I've taken to calling my diary by the name "The FreeBSD
Diary".  Hopefully that will not upset anyone.  I've looked around the net
and have been unable to find anyone else doing the same thing.  From what
I can tell, I'm the only one, perhaps the first.  I encourage others to do
it as well.  If you don't want to publish, that's fine.  Just keep those
notes.  They are valuable.  If you do want to publish, but don't have a
website, I have lots of space and will accept stuff from other users.  The
more the better.

cheers.

--
Dan Langille