Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 2002 23:40:25 +0100
From:      Thomas Quinot <thomas@cuivre.fr.eu.org>
To:        Brad Laue <brad@brad-x.com>
Cc:        TooMany Mirrors <freebsdguru@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI emulation help and patching

Le 2002-10-30, Brad Laue écrivait :

> Given the fact that the new cdrecord uses ATAPI commands instead of relying on
> SCSI emulation, is there another practical reason ATAPICAM exists?

First, I do not know what 'new cdrecord' you are referring to. The
version from the ports tree does *not* use the FreeBSD ATAPI API.
I do not know of any cdrecord version that does, besides the one
patched by Søren.

Second, cdrecord is not the only application that may potentially talk
to an ATAPI device. Even if you consider only CD units, think cdrdao
and cdparanoia.

Third, ATAPI/CAM allows the use of the standard SCSI disk, CD-ROM and
tape drivers for ATAPI devices as well as SCSI devices, instead of
the alternative acd, ast and afd drivers.

Thomas.

--
    Thomas.Quinot@Cuivre.FR.EU.ORG