Date:      Tue, 13 May 2008 22:26:11 +0300
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   /dev/mem wrap-around behavior

This is just out of curiosity, not a real issue.
I use i386 RELENG_7.

I recently played with dd-ing memory contents out of /dev/mem and
examining various stuff. I "intuitively" expected dd to reach EOF at
0xFFFFFFFF (i.e. maximum possible address for i386 non-PAE), but it
continued on. Apparently this happens because off_t is somewhere
assigned to caddr_t (or something like that) without any extra checks.
So, I am curious if this intentional, unintentional or it just happened
to be this way and nobody really cares.

--
Andriy Gapon