Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 12:11:40 -0500
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Greg Skouby <gskouby@ns0.sitesnow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIS client setup again

Well most of these problems are secondary effects of ypbind not running.
Getting ypbind running should take care of the rest.  Check
/var/log/messages for any interesting messages.  Also you might try
running ypbind without arguments in order to determine if the -S is
what's causing the problem.  And you might want to use the IP address
rather than domain name in the -S argument in order to not be dependent
on name resolution.  Also you want "hosts" not "host" in host.conf.

-Mitch

>Hello,
>I managed to resolve my previous problem with an NIS master server not
>starting the yppasswdd. However, I managed to get one of the clients set
>up but I am struggling with the only other client that I need to set up.
>
>I have this in /etc/rc.conf:
>nisdomainname="example.net"
>nis_client_enable="YES"
>nis_client_flags="-S example.net,web.example.net"
>

>Within a couple of minutes after booting this client machine I see the
>ypbind in the ps -aux but then it disappears shortly after that and it
>appears that it never does its job because there is nothing in /var/yp
>except Makefile.dist. I edited host.conf to contain this:
>bind
>nis
>host
>
>I edited the master.passwd with vipw to contain the "magic cookie" at the
>end.
>Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong please. Any command that I issue
>such as ypcat master.passwd gives me:
>
>%ypcat master.passwd
>ypcat: no such map master.passwd.byname. reason: Can't bind to server
>which serves this domain
>

>Any suggestions to keep me from pulling my hair out? I searched the
archives but found nothing really pertaining to my exact problem in there.