Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 01:07:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe <mitayai@dreaming.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   X on a Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop

Hello!

I finally got my laptop running with FreeBSD (had to go and dig up a
rather ancient PCMCIA card to get it to work, and i still can't get it to
ifconfig automatically on boot-up, but that's anbother story and is just
a matter of time, i'm sure).

But... my joy is tempered by the fact that i still can't get X working.

FreeBSD 4.1 off CD, full X-windows installed,
Dell Inspiron 7000 with an 8 Meg ATI Mach64 (Rage II Pro).

I start up the XF86Config program and my screen goes blank when it tried
to start the X Server. Took me a while to realize that it was directing
video off to the external port. Function-CRT/LCD does nothing. :-(

Can anyone offer me suggestions on how to get X to actually use the LCD
screen?

Regards,
Mit

---