Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 01:07:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jwlo@ms11.hinet.net
Subject:   Re:  Chinese in JAVA.

> Hello,
>
> I write a java applet to display Chinese, I run 'javac -encoding Big5 xxx.java',
>
> but it can't display chinese on FreeBSD, would anyone know how to do, thanks.
>
> P.S. I've installed Chinese X server so I can see chinese on Netscape without
> any problem.
>
> Best regards,
> Doug.

You might want to check the file jdk/lib/font.properties.zh_TW_Big5. It has
font mappings from java to XLFD. Make sure you have the fonts listed there
(i.e. chinese fonts distributed by sun) or replace the XLFDs with the ones
you have.

BTW, what did you mean by Chinese X server? Did you mean you have chinese
fonts installed or a localized X server? AFAIK, Xlib doesn't even know
how to handle BIG5 encodings (it knows GB and CNS).

-lq