Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 1995 14:45:29 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        ugen@latte.worldbank.org (Ugen J.S.Antsilevich)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why FreeBSD could not be better then Linux..:)

>  Well..FreeBSD *IS* my system of choice so subject is not
> really what i wanted to say. But sort of point is that
> -current is dead for more then two weeks and the main discussion
> between core team members on maling list is the ages-long
> and endless discusssion of should we or should we not use "goto's"...

1)	I am not a core team member.  I divorced myself when Novell
	bought USL.  I was at the time a Novell employee and my
	continued participation at that time would have endangered
	the legal standing of the code.  This is no longer the case
	(I no longer work for Novell), but I'm still not a core team
	member.

2)	The problems are in the VM in the paging changes, and are
	being worked on by the people who handle that code.  And it's
	not any of us discussing goto's on the hacker's list, unless
	maybe David is working on it too.

3)	The discussing of "goto's" was an Ad Hominim attack on my
	coding style designed to distract from the main issue, which
	was support for kernel string process encoding of other than
	8 bit strings.  This has nothing whatsoever to do with helping
	or hindering the problems in the -current code.

4)	The -current code is *permitted* to be unstable by it's very
	nature.  This is generally not the case, but since it has been
	recently, it's probably time to remind people that -current is
	a CVS tree snapshot.  Depending on what was going on when the
	snapshot was made, current is not even guaranteed to contain
	buildable code, let alone code that runs without errors.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.