Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2000 16:16:44 -0600
From:      "Jordan Krushen" <jkrushen@purplemedia.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problem with /30 on 4.1-R

I have a 4.1-R (cvsup'd every now and then) machine which has no end of
problems staying connected to a switch on the other side of a /30.  I've
tried Intel cards, 3Com cards, and Dlink cards, all give the same problem -
The connection will come up fine on boot, then after a while, just give up
the ghost.  All other interfaces in the machine keep working fine.  What's
also odd is that from time to time, if I ping that interface from outside,
I'll get one ping reply back, then the interface dies, I get no replies
back, and it has to be power cycled to get it back up.  ifconfig down/up
doesn't do a thing to restore it.  The segment we're on is 206.87.4.224/30.

Here's the line in rc.conf (from memory, the box is currently down):

ifconfig_fxp0="inet 206.87.4.225 netmask 0xfffffffc broadcast 206.87.4.227"

I can't change it right now, but IIRC, the ifconfig line without specifying
broadcast doesn't get the broadcast addy set properly.

default route is to 206.87.4.226 (our upstream's switch).

Does anyone have any ideas why it would simply die like that?  It's done
this with 4.0-R, 4.0-stable, and still does it with 4.1-R.  Is it something
that it doesn't like about the /30?  It just seems odd that it will work
fine for anywhere from a few minutes to a couple days before dying, and that
a simple ping is enough to kill it.

Thanks,

J.