Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 1996 06:46:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        robert@chalmers.com.au (Robert Chalmers)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trying to understand virtual hosting

> 	Set up a Zone file for the domain in the DNS records of
> 	the Primary DNS.
>
> 	Set up a virtual host.do.main using Listen option in Apache.
> 	(Or set up an alias IP within your own IP space,)
> 	(Does NSCA do Listen as well, or just bind+IP alias?)
>
> 	register the domain, and point the Nameserver responsible for
> 	the host.do.main at your real Nameserver on which the domain
> 	has a zone record.
>
> 	for instance, register foo.bar.com as a domain, with a
> 	name server of bart.simpson.com, (your actual server).
>
> Sometimes I see people referring to running virtual domains/hosts
> without using bind? I don't understand how that is done. If there
> is a domain called foo.bar.com, but it is a virtual domain kept on
> the real host/domain bart.simpson.com, and I'm here in OZ, and I
> try and locate http://foo.bar.com, it has to be able to find it
> in the DNService doesn't it ! There has to be a record somewhere
> pointing foo.bar.com --> bart.simpson.com

What confuses most people is that the issue of DNS and the issue of virtual
domains/hosts are two almost entirely separate problems.

You create a virtual Web or FTP host by grabbing an IP number in your range,
and telling Apache or your fav Web server that it is "www.xyz.abc".  That is
really ALL that there is to a virtual host.

Now you have to make it work from a DNS point of view.  It does not matter
how it is done.  You may have to create a new zone and register a domain
name with InterNIC.  The customer may already have a domain, in which case
you simply twiddle the existing zone.  You might even be hosting a site for
a customer with a domain server that is not on-site, in which case you don't
do any DNS work at all locally - the remote DNS host does.

Because of that, all the instructions I've seen for doing "virtual hosts"
are mostly wrong, because they are trying to explain it to people and fail
to mention the other possible cases.

... JG