Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 14:30:56 -0400
From:      Doug Shapter <dshapter@ciena.com>
To:        ops <ops@mail.online-tech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vacation program as autoresponder

> I am setting up the vacation program to use as an autoresponder. I have
> followed the steps in the man page for vacation. The mail is recieved but
> no response is sent. as a test I setup a .forward file with just another
> email address. the emails are not being forwarded to the other address
> Any help would be appreciated
>
> Andy Thornbranch

Andy;

Are you running sendmail on your machine to process mail? Or are you
connecting to some other mail server to get your mail (for instance, using a
pop3 interface). If you are not using sendmail, then .forward will have no
effect.

Hope this helps.
(opinions are my own, etc...)

--
Doug Shapter                 CIENA Corporation    dshapter@ciena.com
Senior Engineer              Linthicum, MD        410-694-8118