Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 11:30:49 -0800
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        "Vince Valenti" <vince@blue-box.net>
Cc:        "Jonathan Arnold" <jdarnold@buddydog.org>, "Lord Raiden" <raiden23@netzero.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "nate" <freebsd@aphroland.org>
Subject:   Re: sudden reboots

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vince Valenti" <vince@blue-box.net>
To: "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
Cc: "Jonathan Arnold" <jdarnold@buddydog.org>; "Lord Raiden"
<raiden23@netzero.net>; <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>; "nate"
<freebsd@aphroland.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 9:49 AM

> DT> > without a flaw.  I've even got an old P120 running as a mail
server, ftp
> DT> > server, and web server all in one happy little package without a
hitch or a
> DT> > glitch.  I did notice that there was a couple of big flaws in
the most
> DT> > recent releases of sysinstall, but that's about it.  Usually if
you're
> DT> > hitting issues with your server rebooting at random, it's
usually hardware
> DT> > related.  Try swapping some stuff out till you get a stable
running
> DT> > machine.  I had a similar issue a while back with 4.3 on one of
our mail
> DT> > servers.  It ends up I had to swap out the ISA nic cards for PCI
and it
> DT> > played happily afterwords.
> DT>
> DT> While I agree with your statements in general, it sure is odd that
> DT> small group of us all experienced problems soon after upgrading to
> DT> 4.5-RELEASE and had not had such problems before.  When I get some
> DT> time (US income taxes are due), I will revert to 4.4-RELEASE and
see
> DT> if the problems disappear.  I will certainly post my results here.
>
> Drew, I agree with you.  I think something has changed in 4.5-RELEASE
that
> causes it to be incompatable with certain hardware.  I am running
> 4.5-RELEASE on six other machines with no problems so far.  I've
> downgraded my problem machine to 4.4-RELEASE to see if it fixes the
> problems.  Before I upgraded it to 4.5-RELEASE, I never had a problem
with
> it, and it had an uptime of several months.

Please keep me posted regarding how your problem machine does on
4.4-RELEASE.  If it solves your problems then I will *DEFINITELY* return
to 4.4 myself.

I also have another machine that's doing fine on 4.5 so I'm going to
leave it alone.  My problem machine has run flawlessly since I first
installed FBSD with 4.0 and have ugraded to all the releases along the
way.  I did not have a lick of trouble until I upgraded to 4.5.

Thanks for your updates,

Drew