Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 18:21:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.ORG>, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.x compatibilty.. Was: MFC of rcNG?

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> At 3:17 PM -0700 6/18/02, Doug Barton wrote:

As I mentionned, my (employer's) bank clients are ultra
concervative, but when we move to 5.x in late 2004 or 2005
they will be budgetting for such things as a new audit of teh
configurations so switching for them then will be ok,
but we sell 4.x upgrades as "bugfix releases" to the don't budget in
such large items at those times..
 As long as 4.x systems work the way they have and don't require
changes that can't be handled automatically I'm happy.

5.x can be quite different as far as I'm concerned.. so.. "good job so
far, and it looks like you have a good plan." being able to get tehm 'used
to' the new system by having it in 4.8 as an option will be enormously
useful too but I don't think we need the old system to be stil available
in 5.x as long as /usr/local/etc/rc.d can still be used for 3rd party apps
that can't easily be changed..

julian