Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 16:30:15 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        Richard Jones <richard@jonze.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Port manipulation

# richard@jonze.com / 2002-09-26 15:09:29 +0100:
> Hi,
>
> Could someone point me in the direction of "intermediate" documentation
> on ports? The handbook doesn't say enough, and the Ports guide is too
> dense and focuses mostly on creating ports.
>
> I want to find out things like:
> 	How to install mtr without X
> 	How to install wget without Japanese language support
> 	How to install lame without GTK support.

    such questions are usually easily answered by reading the port's
    Makefile. /usr/ports/audio/lame/Makefile e. g. contains this:

    .if (${HAVE_GNOME:Mgtk12}!="" || defined(WITH_GTK)) && !defined(WITHOUT_GTK)
    USE_GNOME+=     gtk12
    PLIST_SUB+=     WITH_GTK=''
    PKGNAMESUFFIX=  -gtk
    .else
    PLIST_SUB+=     WITH_GTK='@comment '
    .endif

    that looks like

    % make install -DWITHOUT_GTK

    will do what you want.

    n. b.: answers to questions like "what the heck is the WANT_GNOME
    stuff" lie in the /usr/ports/Mk directory. get yourself ready for
    some searious reading if you're not a Makefile hacker though, that
    stuff is pretty heavy, *but not impenetretable*.

    see also make(1) and /usr/share/doc/psd/12.make/paper.ascii.gz

    hmm, looks like i answered a different question. :)

--
begin 666 nonexistent.vbs
FreeBSD 4.7-RC