Date:      Thu, 26 Jan 2006 14:22:27 -0600
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cannot find -ldl

--On Thursday, January 26, 2006 14:12:49 -0600 Dan Nelson
<dnelson@allantgroup.com> wrote:

>> > It's not needed on FreeBSD.  The dlopen family of functions is in
>> > libc. The configure script should probably have something like this
>> > in it so it only uses libdl if it can't find dlopen with its current
>> > set of libs::
>> >
>> > AC_SEARCH_LIBS(dlopen, dl)
>>
>> Dan, you're referring to configure.in, right?  There's no AC_SEARCH
>> in that at all.  Do I just need to add a line?  If so, does it matter
>> where I add it?
>
> Ya, configure.{in,ac}.  It doesn't matter much where it goes; at the
> bottom is probably safest.  You will also need to remove any hardcoded
> "-ldl" strings from Makefile.{in,am}.  Configure will add "-ldl" to
> $LIBS if it turns out to be required.

I followed your instructions, but make still fails:

gcc -o ssh ssh.o readconf.o clientloop.o sshtty.o  sshconnect.o
sshconnect1.o sshconnect2.o readpass.o -L. -Lopenbsd-compat/ -L/usr/ssl
-lssh -lopenbsd-compat -lcrypto -lutil -lz  -lcrypt -ldl
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldl
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/home/pauls/Downloads/sara-6.0.7d/src/sssh.
*** Error code 1

I put AC_SEARCH_LIBS(dlopen,dl) at the end of configure.in, just before
AC_OUTPUT(Makefile).  There was no mention of ldl in Makefile.in.

Any suggestions?

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas