Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 12:11:33 -0500
From:      "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@ds.net>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3 simple bsd questions (man, ~ and moused)

Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> 1.  What is the man command that explains man commands, i.e. what (1),
> (2), etc. are in the manual?  I saw it somewhere, now i can't find it.

That one's easy:  'man man' should get you the info you're after.

> 2.  What does the '~' after a filename mean?  Is this a deleted file
> that can be undeleted?  I tried man file, filename, ~, undelete, and
> whiteout.  No dice.

I _think_ that's usually a temp file created by your favorite editor
(pico maybe?)  If the edit session isn't shut down properly you'll see
these files laying around.  Why don't you 'more' the file to determine
if it's something important.  If it is then rename it to something
useful - if it's not then feel free to delete it.

> 3.  SOmetimes when i boot up my laptop, the mouse doesn't work.  dmesg
> says /dev/psm0 not configured.  Rebooting works, but takes too
> long.  GOing to single user mode then back to multi doesn't do it.  Is
> there a simple way to configure psm0 once i am up and running?  Is
> this a bug?

Never used FreeBSD on a laptop so I can't be of much help there.
However, my Windows machine frequently does something similar to this -
I've chalked it up to cheap or dying hardware.  I don't know that that's
going to applicable to your situation.

Good luck...

Jim