Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 03:11:38 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposed patch to fix VN device (again)

In message <199912280153.RAA35369@apollo.backplane.com>, Matthew Dillon writes:

>    Huh?  Look Poul, I don't know what your problem is but I'm through
>    playing around with you.   You aren't making any sense and, frankly my
>    dear sir, the buffer cache, vm_pager interface, VN device, and
>    vm_pager_strategy subsystem is my ball of wax, not yours...

Sorry, not so (and you've been told plenty many times already).

You should fix the swap-pager to remove this last smoldering
assumption about the existence of /dev/drum, rather than obfuscate
the rest of the system by adding it back.

I know it means more work for you, but we're not here to cut corners,
we're here to get a better system.  We don't get a better system if
you keep pushing the dirty bits into obscure corners of the kernel
rather than fix them where they need fixed.

>    I don't need
>    your permission and I certainly don't need your help if this is all you
>    can come up with.

I objected to your patch on the grounds that it would be a step backwards,
that has nothing to do with getting my permission.

>    can come up with.  I'm not going to twist up all that wonderful clean code
>    just to avoid making the swapper a real device.

You can call that "wonderful clean code" all you like, it is most
certainly not the term I would use for it, and either way the matter
of the fact is that struct buf is being abused to do something
which it isn't able to do in its current design, and the way to
fix that is not to add a hacked up dev_t but to give it special
handling where it needs that.

And adding a bogus dev_t and a equally bogus devsw does by no means
make the swapper "a real device".

I still object to your patch.  It is a step backwards and it would
further obfuscate the swap_pagers code.

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!