Date:      29 Jun 99 13:45:24 PDT
From:      Jesus Monroy <jesus.monroy@usa.net>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need FAQ

While implementing mysql for a client that
uses zipcodes it became apparent that
not enough file handles were available.
Searching for the answer encompassed 2+ hours.

I saw the question in many places and it was
not until I set the search facility for
the website (freebsd.org) to 'maxlimit=3D500 answers' =

that I could find the answer.

Nothing less, this seems to be need as an FAQ,
as quoted:
> This seems to be a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question).  Unfortunately,
> it seems to seems to also be a NAQ (Never Answered Question).  I
> myself have asked it several times and the answers, involving
> CHILD_MAX and OPEN_MAX and limits, never work.  Apparently, FreeBSD
> is too primitive to handle more than a few files at once.

Please note I saw a person answer with:

    "Can't you read the documentation?"

Well, if I knew where to look, I wouldn't ask.

Lastly, the URL that follows seemed to be the only answer that
can close to giving good response, but even this answer is poor:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=3D32192+0+/usr/local/www/db/t=
ext/1997/freebsd-hackers/19970803.freebsd-hackers

---
"I'd rather pay for my freedom than live in a bitmapped, =

pop-up-happy dungeon like NT."
http://www.performancecomputing.com/features/9809of1.shtml