Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 1999 15:37:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
To:        Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Kenneth Chiu <chiuk@cs.indiana.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, gjb@alpha.comkey.com.au
Subject:   Re: BSD filesystems & MBR

Today Greg Black wrote:

> I've been using the equivalent of "dangerously dedicated" disks
> on both IDE and SCSI disks on a range of PCs from a 486-33 that
> dates back to 1991 up to boxes built in the last couple of weeks
> running various releases of BSD/OS and FreeBSD.  I have never
> had any problems with this, and don't expect to (since I'll only
> ever switch to different BSD versions).

Add a 386-25 to that list and our experiences are the same.

> I certainly don't buy the theory about dangerously dedicated
> disks not working at all with modern BIOSes -- unless this is
> something that is supposed to show up in random use some time
> after a successful installation, which sounds far-fetched to me.

It seems that most of the people having problems are using "name
brand" computers.  Perhaps they're reaping a benefit of machines
that are "Designed for Windows" and running into some value added
feature of their BIOS that assumes that if the MBR doesn't match
Redmond's idea of what it should be it must be bad.

Jack O'Neill                    Systems Administrator / Systems Analyst
jack@germanium.xtalwind.net     Crystal Wind Communications, Inc.
          Finger jack@germanium.xtalwind.net for my PGP key.
   PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD
               enriched, vcard, HTML messages > /dev/null