Date:      Sat, 16 Nov 1996 02:03:59 -0400
From:      Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com, michaelv@MindBender.serv.net, BRETT_GLASS@infoworld.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, rschof@mccomm.nl
Subject:   Re: After changing to an AHA2940 I can't boot the kernel.

I unplugged all of my existing SCSI disks, leaving my CDrom and 4mm DAT
drive.

I took a 2G Seagate barracuda and put it in the box, grabbed a boot
floppy and the 2.1.5 installation CDrom, and fired it up.

While loading in the bin distribution, I kicked over to the "output"
window (Alt-F2, as I recall).

I started seeing messages like:

 sd0(ahc0:0:0): Timed out in dataout phase, SCSISIGI=0x0

Sometimes it's in "message" phase, sometimes SCSISIGI is 0xe6 or 0xf6.

Sometimes I get a line that says:

 asserted ATN - device reset in message buffer

and then I get bus resets and various numbers of SCBs aborted.

With terminators at each end of the bus i've gone from "automatic"
termination on the card to "diabled" termination on the card with no
change in effect.

Any suggestions on where the problem might be?

Thanks...