Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 97 9:15:15 CST
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
To:        Guido.vanRooij@nl.cis.philips.com (Guido van Rooij)
Cc:        Guido.vanRooij@nl.cis.philips.com, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, core@freebsd.org, security@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.6+++: crt0.c CRITICAL CHANGE

> > With this, it would be MUCH simpler to release a "security binary kit"
> > upgrade to 2.1.X series systems.
>
> Before everyone starts singing `Halleluia', let me state first that
> this does not solve everything. At runs a setlocale() itsself, so
> it is still vulnerable. Further, It will not solve the problem for ppl
> that actually NEED the locale stuff....

The locale stuff appears to have been removed from 2.2's crt0.c as well,
I don't know anything more about what was done, but it seems to me that
that suggests that it is not mandatory for use of the locale stuff.

The comments suggested that it was an easy way to try to locale-ize
the entire system.  It should not, I would think, preclude the use of
the locale code, but then again, I am only very mildly familiar with
that stuff.

... Joe