Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2012 01:11:47 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Stephan Schindel <sts@tp1.rub.de>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: GTK and black window content

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 00:43:45 +0200, Stephan Schindel wrote:
> Hey :),
>
> I have sometimes a problem with GTK applications such as Firefox, Thunderbird
> and some others too: The whole application window gets almost black [...]

ALMOST black?

> [...] and the
> only fix is to reboot the system.

Does the program window stop responding? Have you tried killing X?
Maybe that's not as drastic as rebooting (except of course the
system completely refuses to respond, which you didn't mention).

> I am using KDE (disabled composite) as my
> Desktop and I have got a Nvidia card (propr. driver).

Have you tried to temporarily use a different, more simpler
window manager (simplest idea: twm) to see if this might be
related to KDE?

> Does this happen to you as well?

I'm using several Gtk applications here on WindowMaker (so
no full KDE desktop), and _sometimes_ I have Firefox freezing
the whole system; it stops during drawing operations (!) and
the only help is to power off the machine. But in my case,
I'm quite confident it's related to a malfunctioning graphics
card -- also nVidia card + proper driver. However, this does
not happen to other Gtk applications (such as Sylpheed), only
to Firefox (and games such as Doom 3 demo and Quake 4 demo,
but not to OpenArena).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany