Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 13:36:42 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        Kris Kirby <kris@airnet.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Time calibration ?

Kris Kirby wrote:

> Studded wrote:
>
> >         The use of peering for time synchronization is often misunderstood. The
> > purpose of a peer network is to keep *your* machines in synch with one
> > another, as opposed to the purpose of a server -> client relationship
> > which is designed to keep your network in synch with an outside source.
>
> Hmm. I figure as much but wondered if it would actually work. I've got two
> machines, a modern 75MHz machine and a 386DX-40. In practice the modern machine
> keeps time *much* better than the 386. Both are set as peers and do updates over
> the 'net when I am connected. I wonder if the worse one actually skews the time
> on the better one.

	You'd be better off in this situation to have the 386 synch to the pent
as a server. Once it's had the chance to properly synchronize [x]ntpd
will keep extremely accurate time even without a higher stratum server
to synch to, so both of your machines will keep better time if the flaky
one is synching to the reliable one instead of having them peer.

Hope this helps,

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***