Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2000 15:17:20 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Kendall Black <kendallblack@email.uophx.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

* Kendall Black <kendallblack@email.uophx.edu> [000808 21:04] wrote:
> Hi.  I'm attempting to do a paper on FreeBSD and am having a difficult time
> find the information that I need.  Would appreciate your input on the following:
>
> 1.  What environments is FreeBSD capable of manging:  uniprocessor, multiprocessor,
> realtime, timeshare?

All four, however realtime is limited right now.

> 2.  What kind of memory management scheme does the OS support and how does the
> OS manage memory?

The OS uses a protected memory scheme.

> 3.  How is paging and segmentation handled?

With the MMU and vm system

> 4.  With respect to interrupt handling, what processes are used and how are
> priorities handled?

Right now we use the spl() system to mask interrupts when in a critical
section, this is changing to mutexes in the near future.

When a kernel thread goes to sleep it marks itself at a priority to be
run at when woken.

> Any links to this information or insights that you can provide
> will be greatly appreciated.

I would pick up "Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD operating system"
by McKusick, some of the text isn't accurate for modern FreeBSD but a lot
of the concepts are still in use or close to what's illustrated in the
book.

Please wrap lines at 70 characters.

-Alfred