Date:      Sun, 28 Aug 2011 13:42:44 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Sahil Tandon <sahil@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: OPTIONS framework bug vs. SSL issues

On 8/28/2011 10:46 AM, Sahil Tandon wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-08-28 at 19:41:02 +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
>
>> just a brain flash: bsd.port.mk currently re-prompts OPTIONS if
>> they've changed, for instance, through addition.
>>
>> Should we change this feature in b.p.mk so that it also re-prompt the
>> user when the defaults have changed?

The way that (for example) portmaster works now is that if the user has
already answered the questions for that port they don't get the dialog
again unless a knob has been added or deleted. Personally I would find
it surprising to be presented with the dialog again if there were no
changes to the set of options. I wouldn't see a change in defaults in
this case since my answers are already going to be filled in.

For this specific case I probably would have changed the language of the
gnutls option to make it clear that it needs to be un-selected, and
added a no-op OPTION to make sure that users saw the dialog.

Doug

			-- OK Go