Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:07:31 -0400
From:      Michael Powell <nightrecon@verizon.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and ECC memory?

Michael Powell wrote:

[snip]

>> 1. So, what would you base your decision on? Is getting ECC worth losing
>> 1GB of non-ECC memory?

Oh - and the other criterion I forgot to mention. If the box in question is
only being used by 1 or 2 people and can have downtime to fix defects
whenever you want, non-ECC is a consideration.

That being said, if it is a box depended upon by many people and expected to
be reliable I'd spend the money on 4GB of ECC from the outset.

The difference being I need to put up a box and move on to other things.
Having to return and muck with complaints is a counter productive waste of
time that could be better spent with new projects.

[snip]