Date:      30 Sep 1999 10:39:09 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Disable creating catman pages from unformatted man pages?

I'd like to be able to disable the automatic creation of formatted man
pages. I find generating the formatted pages for display on the fly
fast enough and am running low on disk on one of my systems. The man
page on man :-) mentions:

     If enabled by the system administrator, formatted man pages will
     also be compressed with the `/usr/bin/gzip -c' command to save
     space.

It doesn't say how to disable generating them in the first place.
/etc/host.conf mentions compressing *un*formatted man pages (fine) but
nothing about creation of formatted pages.  I don't see any relevant
fields in /etc/manpath.config either.

Pointers please? Thanks.