Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2006 09:21:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I cannot upgrade openssl-stablr

Dirk Meyer wrote:
>> Try adding OPENSSL_OVERWRITE_BASE=yes into your /etc/make.conf
>> file, and try again. You can also define that variable at build
>> time, but having it in make.conf keeps it there for future
>> reference.
>
> OPENSSL_OVERWRITE_BASE=yes sould be used with extreme caution!

I disagree, never having had a problem with OPENSSL_OVERWRITE_BASE.

> This might break your base application in cases like this, when
> the base uses a diffrent api as the ports does.

That would be a version mis-match, not really related to overwriting
the base port. Indeed if you install openssl without
OPENSSL_OVERWRITE_BASE you will have two different versions on your
your system, which is much more of a sysadmin headache than an easily
diagnosed version mismatch. For the same reason I recommend
OPENSSH_OVERWRITE_BASE, NO_MAILWRAPPER, NO_SENDMAIL, NO_OPENSSH,
NO_OPENSSL, NO_BIND, and PORT_REPLACES_BASE_BIND8 or
PORT_REPLACES_BASE_BIND9 as well.

OPENSSL_OVERWRITE_BASE should be the default, but consider adding
WITH_OPENSSL_097 to prevent automatic incompatible version upgrades.
Most of the sites I consult with have stuck with the 0.9.7 branch for
compatibility reasons.

Is it still the case that 'make *world' cannot parse
OPENSSL_OVERWRITE_BASE and requires NO_OPENSSL instead?

--
Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting