Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 03:10:13 +0100 (BST)
From:      Steve Roome <steve@snuggly.demon.co.uk>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   YMF719 - configuration hell!

I've got an A-Trend "ATC-6631D Pnp 3D" sound card.
This card is nothing much more than a Yamaha YMF719E-S
chip.

I'm using the pcm driver with FreeBSD 3.0-RELEASE and there's
a couple of things I've noticed that are really odd/annoying.

Firstly, as I'm using 3.0-RELEASE I had to modify the code
a bit to detect the card, but the changes are about identical
to what's gone into -current lately so that's reassuring.
(just changes to recognise the Vendor/Serial number really)

(except mine has more printf junk in it, because I didn't know
what I was doing!)

The problems I'm getting are with the mixer settings, rplayd
gives me this warning whenever I start it up :

rplayd: rplay_audio_get_volume: pcm mixer device not installed

The entries in /dev look like this :

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel         6 Apr  8 02:07 audio -> audio1
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   30,  20 Apr  8 02:07 audio1
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel         4 Apr  8 02:07 dsp -> dsp1
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   30,  19 Apr  8 02:09 dsp1
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel         5 Apr  8 02:07 dspW -> dspW1
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   30,  21 Apr  8 02:07 dspW1
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel         6 Apr  8 02:07 mixer -> mixer1
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   30,  16 Apr  8 02:07 mixer1

Which seem okay.

Also, as this machine is a dual boot to Windows I can tell you that
no matter what one does to the card in FreeBSD it only ever gets out
about 50% the volume that the Windows driver manages on plain audio.

Here's what running mixer gets me :

root@snuggly# mixer
Mixer synth    is currently set to  75:75
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  64:64
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  75:75
Mixer line     is currently set to  32:32
Mixer mic      is currently set to  64:64
Mixer cd       is currently set to  75:75
Mixer mix      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer igain    is currently set to  37:37
root@snuggly

So, the question's are ...

1) How on earth can I get the mixer to work properly ?
2) How can I get the Voxware driver to work for this chipset, I think
it's probably possible, but using pnp at the same time makes it somewhat
harder to get anywhere.
3) Has anyone got a similar card to use soundblaster mode at all ?
4) Anyone got a datasheet on this chipset...
There's most of the other YMFXXXX chipset datasheets available here :

ftp://ftp.yamahayst.com/pub/Fax_Back_Doc/Sound/

..b ut nothing specifically for the 719, and I've got too slow a link
to get the 715 sheet and see if it mentions anything at all!

I'm perfectly prepared to make a lot of changes to the code if need
be (well, by that, I mean I'm prepared to spend a a few hours if I
knew what to do that is).

Finally, here's what the card think's about itself at boot time.

CSN 1 Vendor ID: YMH0800 [0x0008a865] Serial 0xffffffff Comp ID: PNPb02f
[0x2fb0d041]
Sound system attempting to use MSS codec.
2. again using vend_id of a865
Sound specific settings for Yamaha
3. using vend_id of a865
3. Using special Volume settings for Yamaha card.
mss_attach <Likely a Yamaha SA3>1 at 0x530 irq 5 dma 1:3 flags 0x13
setting up yamaha registers
set yamaha master volume to max
pcm1 (CS423x/Yamaha <Likely a Yamaha SA3> sn 0xffffffff) at 0x530-0x537
irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x13 on isa

Thanks in advance,

	Steve Roome

btw, I'm not subscribed to the mailing list, so please don't just reply
there or I might miss something..