Date:      Sun, 06 Sep 1998 23:37:47 -0600
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryant@home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Sharing Netscape Communicator 4.05 mail files?

Hiya hiya... More "intelligent" questions from yours truly :)

Just a query... Has anyone SUCCESSFULLY shared the SAME netscape mail
folder between both Win95 Netscape 4.05 and FreeBSD-* Netscape 4.05?
I want to access the SAME Inbox, Sent messages, etc folders on an MSDOS
FAT partition (note mounting is NOT the problem here.. both OSes can see
the Win95 Netscape mailbox just fine :)  I want to (ideally) be able to
access my mail account from EITHER OS, and have the same downloaded
messages visible and accessible from either OS.

>From what I can tell, each flavor of Netscape stores the folders only
slightly differently... Win95 appears to add an assortment of header
files, indexes and what not, while BSD Netscape seems only to need the
INBOX. or equivalent file to generate it's OWN header/summary files.

I found this out on an earlier install when I COPIED the contents of one
of my Win95 mailboxes (\Program Files\Netscape\Users\name\....blah...
wherever it stores those profiles.. I forget now :) to the FreeBSD
Netscape's mail directory (in my case, as root, /root/.nsmail I
believe.
Again, the default...)  And I was ABLE to see all of my existing
mail FROM the Win95 install of Netscape.  (Now we know the two are
at least compatible in ONE direction :)

However, when I tried (in the FreeBSD Netscape preferences menu) to
change the mail path of the current user to the mounted DOS path
(in my case, /dos_mount/program files/netscape/users/myname/mail/)
FreeBSD Netscape would NOT recognize the existing INBOX or any other
mail folder residing in the MSDOS directory).  Note, I have full
R/W privileges to /dos_mount.

Any thoughts?  Success stories?  Horror stories? :)

   : Ryan Thompson -*- ryant@home.com :
  :   # config world                           :
  :   # make world                             :
  :      - Can your OS do THAT?!   - Ryan T.   :