Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 2003 18:57:30 -0800
From:      Basil Bourque <basilbourque@mac.com>
To:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hmm

On Thursday, Mar 20, 2003, at 15:58 US/Pacific, John Murphy wrote:

>> I have several computers, Windows & Macintosh & want to learn
>> UNIX.
>
> You will have a lot of fun.  Can you run OS ten on that Mac?

Yes, as an old-time Mac user I can vouch that Mac OS X is a great way
to dabble in Unix while still enjoying a usable computer.

All the Unix stuff you learn on Mac OS X is directly applicable to BSD.
And vice-versa, you can read about Unix stuff and try it out on your
Mac.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

Tips:

- Install Jaguar (Mac OS X 10.2.x), not 10.1.x. Jaguar had many tweaks
and fixes for Unix and related network stuff. Upgrade to the latest
10.2.4.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/

- Learn about Apple's Terminal program. The book publisher O'Reilly has
some great online articles for learning the Terminal and other Mac-Unix
stuff.
http://macdevcenter.com/
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/collections/unix.html

- The shell used by default in Apple's Terminal is "tcsh", rather than
the more common 'bash'. If you really want detail about tcsh, look at
this O'Reilly book:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/tcsh

- All the Unix stuff is built-in to Mac OS X, as is Java. You don't
need to add any downloads except do all the suggested updates in
Apple's "Software Update" system prefs panel. If you ever want
compilers, Apple has a separate large "Developer Tools" download.

--Basil