Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2003 03:17:19 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Open Watcom compiler

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 01:40:59AM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > Porting OW will not be a waste of my time. Fixing the gcc'isms will.
> > The former I do out of interest, the latter will only be something
> > I could possibly do because nobody else has an interest in doing
> > it (so far).
>
> If you were to make the compiler run native on FreeBSD x86 as a
> result of a "cd /usr/ports/tools/xxx; make all install", I would

That's my intention. I don't know yet how easy or complex the
bootstrap will be so I have to be careful with promises.

> be willing to go through and fix *all* the "GCC'isms" in a "make
> world" (ports gets to be someone else's problem), assuming the
> Watcom compiler supports the more equivalent of "linker sets" for
> data (e.g. for SYSINIT).

Fair enough. I think it's reasonable to flag certain things as
compiler must-haves and see if the compiler guys buy into it.

> You will also need to support alignment
> and structure packing primitives, so device driver code does not
> have to be rewritten as pure assembly.

IIRC packing is already present and I expect alignment to be
there as well, but cannot recall if I used it before.

> Getting the changes committed to FreeBSD would be your problem, but
> from my point of view, fixing those kinds of problems is trivial,
> and I'm willing to do the "trained monkey" work of doing it, if
> there's a compiler there.

Sounds good. I guess the port is step 1...