Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 19:51:17 +0100
From:      "Walter C. Pelissero" <walter@pelissero.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4.4-RC NFS panic

John Baldwin writes:
 > > fault virtual address = 0x65746e69
 >                             "etni"
 >
 > Looks like a string has gotten spammed across a data structure or a
 > weird pointer, etc.

Whatever mess happend, I've got some news for you that should remove
the NFS module from the list of possible causes.  Currently I'm
running an old 4.3-STABLE kernel and kldstat shows:

Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1    6 0xc0000000 40000000 kernel
 2    1 0xc0ae0000 d000     msdos.ko
 3    1 0xc0b0f000 6000     procfs.ko
 4    1 0xc0b18000 4000     kernfs.ko
 5    1 0xc0b3b000 4d000    nfs.ko	<--- !
 6    1 0xc0bae000 12000    linux.ko

That is, since my /modules is new, I've loaded the brand new 4.4-RC's
NFS module, and it works without a glitch (at least for now).

This enforces my belief that there is something broken in some deeper
layer of the network code (see the remote printing issue).

The time stamp of the older kernel is

-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2408052 Jul 29 15:19 /kernel.good

It's a pretty long period (almost a month) but maybe is possible to
track down the mods to the network code till now.

--
walter pelissero
http://www.pelissero.org