Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 2000 18:32:09 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>, FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PortsNG (was Re: Ports Options Paper)

On Sat, Sep 09, 2000 at 06:24:51PM -0500, Steve Price wrote:
> # I don't think the package format is in the least significant to the
> # problem, except possibly the use of zip-like archives to only grab
> # headers, and to perform some sort of package signing.  These are both
> # dealt with in the package format described and implemented in libh
> # currently.
>
> We might want to rethink the package format at some point.  I
> don't think it is really important to the new package upgrade
> mechanism either.  However, laying it on the table and having
> everyone nod their head that we won't be considering it as part
> of our current focus *is* important.

The package format is really unrelated to mechanisms using it, so long
as we provide a consistent interface to the format.

> Indeed it might be overkill.  Let's look at it from a tradeoff
> perspective.  What are the pros/cons of the current 'one port,
> one package' system wrt to the other proposals?

Pros:
        1) Fewer inodes.
        2) Centralized option selection (no more "hmm, do I get option
           foo and option bar from port-foo+bar or port-foobar?").  And
           things are in the directories they really should be in.  This
           also leads to centralized development (i.e. everything is
           edited in ONE directory).

Cons:
        None.

Other than more complex bsd.port.mk code, and having to modify some
package building scripts and stuff like that.

--
Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu> <will@FreeBSD.org>
GCS/E/S @d- s+:+ a--- C++ UB++++$ P+ L- E--- W+ N-- !o ?K w---