Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 2004 23:13:31 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosehn <gad@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Christopher Nehren <apeiron@comcast.net>, Brooks Davis <brooks@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers List <hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/newsyslog newsyslog.8 newsyslog.c

At 10:33 PM -0400 10/4/04, Christopher Nehren wrote:
>On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 23:35 +0000, Brooks Davis wrote:
>>  brooks      2004-10-04 23:35:13 UTC
>>
>>    FreeBSD src repository
>>
>>    Modified files:
>>      usr.sbin/newsyslog   newsyslog.8 newsyslog.c
>>    Log:
>  >   Add a new -d argument which is used to specify an alternate root
>  >   for log files similar to DESTDIR in the BSD make process.  This
>  >   only affects log file paths not config file (-f) or archive
>  >   directory (-a) paths.
>
>Excellent idea. This will cut down on a lot of verbosity in the
>newsyslog.conf file. However, perhaps the accompanying patch is
>a better implementation. It allows both relative and absolute path
>names to be listed, ...

I think your goal is very different from what Brooks wants to do.
He is not trying to cut down any verbosity in the /etc/newsyslog.conf
file, he is trying to make it possible to easily redirect the file.

If I understand what you want to do, I would prefer to implement it
in a different manner.

>Also, while I'm here, is there any plan to port this to RELENG_5?

I will MFC it if Brooks doesn't, but I do not think it needs to be
done right now.  I would prefer to wait until after 5.3-RELEASE is
official.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =      gad@gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad@FreeBSD.org