Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 1995 00:03:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      -Vince- <vince@apollo.COSC.GOV>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current users <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>, Yog Sothoth <death@apollo.COSC.GOV>
Subject:   Re: select() and setrlimit() broken

On Tue, 28 Nov 1995, J Wunsch wrote:

> As -Vince- wrote:
> >

> > 	Does anyone know if select() and setrlimit() is broken in -CURRENT since
> > they don't behave the way they should as compared to every other UN*X
> > variant.  Any info would be helpful.  Thanks!
>
> They are not.  The entire system wouldn't work if they were.
>
> You forgot to tell us your suspected misbehaviour, btw.

	According to the author of the Schrodinger chat program...

	On SunOS 4.1.3, solaris, linux, ultrix, irix, ...  my chatline
program stayed at the line where select() was when nobody was logged on
or when nobody was typing.  It's acts in char mode telnet.  On
freebsd-current, it doesn't stay at select() when nobody is logged on or
when nobody is typing.

	select line is something like

select((fd_set *)readfds, (fd_set *)0, (fd_set *)0, (time_t *)0);

the file descriptors for each socket is set for i/o non-blocking
with fcntl()  ...  (can't remember the exact syntax offhand .. I'm on the
fly right now)

(it's something like that ...  I don't do unix C programming any longer
.. I'm quoting from memory ...  I was forwarded this letter from somebody
using my chatline code).

	btw, my chatline program worked "properly" on FreeBSD 2.0.5, 2.0
and previous versions 1.5.1.1 (or whatever version that novell
doesn't want anybody using).

					Gord J.C.

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@COSC.GOV - GUS Mailing Lists Admin - http://www.COSC.GOV/~vince
UC Berkeley AstroPhysics - Electrical Engineering (Honorary B.S.)
Chabot Observatory & Science Center - Board of Advisors
Running FreeBSD - Real UN*X for Free!
Linda Wong/Vivian Chow/Hacken Lee/Danny Chan/Priscilla Chan Fan Club
Mailing Lists Admin