Date:      Mon, 10 Oct 2005 22:53:52 -0400
From:      Adam Weinberger <adamw@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Michael Hopkins <michael.hopkins@hopkins-research.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bpm problem

Michael Hopkins wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have been enjoying the use of bpm for some time now as my way of
> navigating the ports collection on FreeBSD.
>
> For some reason today it crashed with a core dump about 3/4 of the way
> through updating its' database when I first ran it.  This happened several
> times in a row, even after a reboot, so I suspected the ports database may
> have got corrupted and did a 'pkgdb -F' and a 'cd /usr/ports/; make
> fetchindex' but still no joy with bpm.  I have not made any changes to the
> system recently and I'm on AMD64 FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p7 #2
>
> Does anyone have any ideas that would help get it running again? Maybe it
> has a database somewhere that can be renovated.  Alternatively, are there
> any other ports that offer a GUI interface for working with ports?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Michael

Michael -

Seth, the maintainer of sysutils/bpm, is a really good guy who sometimes
just needs a kick in the behind to fix bpm-related problems. I'm sure
that if you send him an email with a more detailed report and a
backtrace of the core dump, he'll be very responsive in fixing the problem.

One problem with bpm is that whenever the INDEX structure changes, bpm's
code needs to be updated accordingly.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger