Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 2003 18:40:51 +0000
From:      "clayton rollins" <crollins666@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD knowledge, awarded & learning

>From: Tom <tsasser@terra.cl> wrote on Sat, 26 Apr 2003 13:42:24 -0600:
>
> > Carol wrote
> > The R&D machine developing a content management system is FreeBSD (which
> > installed and setup a few months ago.) There seems to be a fear of
>learning
> > something new with a lot of the Microsoft crowd. **The other OS's aren't
> > "point and click" therefore it's too hard to learn **and **other admins
>in
> > the city don't know how to help administer the OS**, Whereas I
>discovered
> > it's much easier to take control and actually set up what I want done.
> >
> > Keep up the good work!!
> > Carol
> >
> > **The common whine in staff meetings
>
>hi all,
>
>the fear that carol described above is not uncommon.  i saw it often when i
>was doing support for cybercash...admins who did NOT want to know anything
>about the software that needed to be on their server.  it was quite
>amazing.
>
>also, remember that most people stop learning as soon as they leave school.
>( which is an interesting thought about American culture ).
>
>congrats on the award!
>
>--tom

Tom and Carol,

Thanks for the nice words.

About the fear of not pointing and clicking, I get the exact same reaction
in regards to the Linux and FreeBSD boxes I have running at school (and,
they both have gui's installed; can't handle typing startx, eh?). I've told
'em all how to get in, and went so far as to write down a username and
passwd for them, but still no takers. (I'd even be happy if they wrecked the
install, I just want to expose some people to this OS, which has
dramatically changed my life. <- not as much of an overstatement as it
sounds, I've always wanted to do more than play games, and freeBSD gives me
every bit of functionality I want.)

Oh well. While they play the same stupid solitare game, i get to play xbill,
and have a C/C++ compiler at my fingertips. (Did I mention, it's free?!?)

About learning, it seems that quite a few people don't wait until they leave
school. And, as for 'American Culture,' Michael Moore's Bowling for
Columbine should be considered required reading here. (Beyond being a great
movie, it also brings up a lot of things we'd prefer to not think about our
own culture.)

Am I OT enough now?

Anyways, thanks and good luck with your endeavors,
Clayton