Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 1999 20:36:08 -0600
From:      "Ryan Thompson [FreeBSD]" <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        miy <miyako@sakr.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrading to 3.3 release

miy wrote:

>         I am relatively new to FreeBSD, I bought 3.2-RELEASE 3 months ago
> and have I managed quite well with everything up until this point. I have
> tried to upgrade to 3.3 release a number of times, from sysinstall ->
> Upgrade, I select full sources, binaries and docs, and use ftp to download
> it all. once complete, I:
>
> config myKERNEL
> cd ../../compile/myKERNEL
> make depend
> make
> make install
>
> when I restart, everything works like a charm, but I am greeted again
> with: FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE (myKERNEL)
> I have downloaded and compiled the sources a number of times, and with
> each attempt I get the same outcome. Where is my problem?

Just to hazard a guess...

Without knowing more about what you did... It seems like the upgrade may
have succeeded, after all.

Two things to might try:

You should do a 'make clean' when you build your kernel to rebuild
everything.

Also, did you check /etc/motd? :-)

- Ryan

--

  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  50% Owner, Technical and Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2