Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 1995 18:38:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        peter@taronga.com, terry@lambert.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bad superblock?

> If this isn't your issue, then you don't have an issue; your superblock
> is good, use it instead of trying to play with a backup.  8-).

You are completely missing the point.

When I umount under 2.0.5 it updates the clean bit on the superblock but
not on the backup superblock. When I boot 1.1.5.1, it sees the superblocks
are different and forces a manual fsck.

Nothing is bad. I'm just wondering why umount doesn't set the clean bit in
the backup superblock. It's not saving anything, since the system is routinely
writing to the backup superblock anyway. And it provides the *illusion* of a
bad file system when the file system is perfectly good.

(yes, I know, it's not designed to handle switching file systems between the
two, but that's what you do during an upgrade on production hardware... the
system should be designed to make upgrades as easy as possible when it doesn't
cost anything)