Date:      Tue, 15 Jul 1997 10:08:47 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   About the Sound Driver

I think that I am going to leave the  sound driver open for
clean up kind of work till next monday. After that we will pick
a stable configuration for testing and then integration into
3.0-current. This basically means that we will have frequent
releases of the sound driver and that it will be nice if people
post bugs or suggestions.

it will be nice if some of you takes the lead on :

1. getting rid of static variables in the sound driver. If a driver
   needs to keep track of state it should go into its own internal
   per device data structure. We can partition this task on a per
   module basis. sb , ad1848, gus, etc...

2. clean up the prope and attach routine -- right now it is spaghetti
   code.

3. Provide generalized PnP support . Right now only the GUS PnP has
   native PnP support.

Currently, I am reliant heavely on Luigi for leading the code clean up
effort. Now , I hope, that the sb plack back hang is gone  I hope
to sync up with Luigi.

	Enjoy,
	Amancio