Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 00:10:33 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: building -current for Alpha

As Mike Smith wrote...
> > Set CFLAGS="-pipe" now. Omitting -O makes make quite a bit faster (no
> > surprise ;-). I noticed (in the meantime) that I also ran out of /tmp space.
> > After fixing that the make ran quite a bit further but it now fell over
> > with:
> >
> > cc -pipe -DLIBC_RCS -DSYSLIBC_RCS -I/usr/src/lib/libc/include
> > -D__DBINTERFACE_PRIVATE -DPOSIX_MISTAKE -I/usr/src/lib/libc/../libc/locale
> > -DBROKEN_DES -DYP -I/usr/obj/elf/usr/src/tmp/usr/include -c
> > /usr/src/lib/libc/../libc/net/gethostbydns.c -o gethostbydns.o
> > Cputime limit exceeded
> > Nov 28 03:53:05 axp33 /kernel: calcru: negative time of -3566867 usec for
> > pid 21093 (make)
> > Nov 28 03:53:05 axp33 /kernel: calcru: negative time of -3566867 usec for
> > pid 21093 (make)
>
> This is the dreaded "timecounter bug".  Try updating to a very recent
> kernel, add

Any chance some kind soul can get me a recent kernel like that? I noticed
files for Alpha dated 25 nov 1998, but that would mean ftp-ing the complete
bindist and re-installing.

I rather build from the -current source using a 'known good' kernel. And
subsequently upgrade the machine to the newly built -current.

Or is this unfeasible?

> 	options "NTIMECOUNTER=10"
>
> to your kernel config, rebuild, and then be prepared to work with phk
> to get it resolved if it reoccurs.

OK, thank you for your help.

Wilko