Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 22:30:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        patl@phoenix.volant.org, David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>, matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP/IP

:> > Put another router in series with it.  Use an RFC 1918 "private net"
:> > numbering scheme for that (pathological) network, which then becomes an
:> > effective "demarc" between uunet.ca's responsibility/ability and yours.
:> >
:> > This generalizes, within reason.  (Yes, it adds latency, too....)
:>
:> Umm, I think Matt's point was that he would like to filter these
:> things out -before- they consume bandwidth between his uplink and
:> his router.  (I know I would...)
:
:Get a better ISP.  They should provide such services, and the good ones will.
:They may charge to set it up, but they aren't going to want SYN floods on
:their networks.  If the flood is coming from within your ISP, talk to the ISP
:and get the plug pulled on the flood source.
:
:--
:            "Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
:
:Wes Peters                                                         Softweyr LLC

    Blocking SYN floods with spoofed source IP addresses is virtually
    impossible.  Not only can one not tell the difference between a spoofed
    packet and a real SYN, it is also virtually impossible to determine
    whether the actual source of the packets is if the source is not coming
    from another customer in the same ISP.

    A BEST customer was once attacked with a SYN flood all night long.  It
    took us less then a minute to determine that the flood was coming in
    over our MCI transit.  MCI had all night to locate the source (the attack
    lasted for several hours) and never could.  They couldn't pick the attack
    out from the many gigabits they were shoving around with the debugging
    tools they had.  There wasn't anything we could do about it.

    The only way to deal with SYN floods is to force leaf nodes (e.g. ISPs,
    colleges) to source-ip-filter their outgoing links to prevent people from
    spoofing packets within their networks using source IP's that are outside
    their networks, or to force large backbones to filter the leaf nodes
    themselves to allow only properly sourced packets through.  Good luck!
    All the major backbones have known about the problem for years and
    haven't done a damn thing about it.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>