Date:      Mon, 24 Oct 2016 07:53:57 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ufs to zfs

--tsuUuVwHtig8r9fbmBAruHQbR6eI8TQSc
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

--6QCKFo2tXd4i3k8oT0LJkfxr6b6KJVeo9

On 23/10/2016 12:08, Stari Karp wrote:
> The file system on my FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE is UFS which I have all the
> time. I like to have ZFS but I do not like to reformat HD and installed=

> everything again.
> The OS is installed on iMac and I use rEFIt for dual boot with OSX. I
> have also external HD which cannot be use for boot.
> Is it any chance to convert to ZFS file system, please?

You can't convert UFS to ZFS in-place.  You need at least an empty
partition big enough to contain your entire system.  You can then create
a new zpool from it, import the new zpool to a relocated root by 'zpool
import -R /somedir';  create appropriate ZFSes within it and then copy
over all the content from your system using eg. tar(1) or cpio(1).  Then
you'll need to fix up your boot settings so your system will boot from
the zpool, which I don't know offhand how to do on a system that boots
using EFI.

	Cheers,

	Matthew