Date:      Fri, 29 Jun 2007 10:55:32 -0400
From:      Rob <r17fbsd@xxiii.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        zbigniew@szalbot.homeunix.com
Subject:   Re: freebsd / gateway / parental control

Gaye Abdoulaye wrote:
>> ADSL line. At some point I would like to use an old pc with freebsd on it
>> to sit between the router and the rest of my home network.
>>
> If your are searching a BSD like solution, you have pfsense:
> http://www.pfsense.org/
> But what I use  IPCOP: http://www.ipcop.org/
> With some addons like *BlockOutTraffic (BOT)*,  SQUIDGUARD,  and others

I'll 2nd the suggestion for IPCop www.ipcop.org  It's Linux, not BSD -- not my first OS choice, but it's a mature, feature laden product (that already has squid built in) that is better and more secure than something you could whip up yourself in a weekend.

See the doc page http://ipcop.org/index.php?module=pnWikka&tag=IPCopDocumentation
, particularly "features" and "software used" to get an idea of the extensive capabilities.

There's also m0n0wall http://m0n0.ch/wall/ that's BSD based, but very stripped down.

And these guys http://www.mikrotik.com/ have lots of good stuff for DIYers.

  -R