Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 95 10:34:54 +0100
From:      cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer)
To:        grog@ora.COM
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hubbard's article in BYTE

grog@ora.COM (Greg Lehey) wrote:

>Thomas Graichen writes:
>>
>> by the way - i asked the german iX unix magazine - if they would like
>> an FreeBSD article - the man there said he will discuss it in the
>> redaction conference - but until now (~two weeks later) i didn't get
>> an answer - thus i sent a reminder to the man - maybe eventually this
>> may lead to another article (we'll see ...)

>I used to write articles for iX, and found them to be some of the most
>difficult people I have ever dealt with.  They kept changing my texts
>to fit their (strange) viewpoint of the world.  If you *do* go ahead
>with this idea (which I still think is good), make *very* certain that
>they print what you write, and not what they think.

Exactly my experience. Back in 1992, they hacked up articles of mine
in an inacceptable way, even comfusing the CPU cache and the
filesystem buffer cache. I wrote two articles for them and both were
almost completly rewritten and printed without a single feedback to
me. This is almost worse since I have been promised that it would not
happen again after the first of these articles.

I was in contact with UNIXopen before Lars' article and asked whether
then would promise to let me review the last edited version of my
artices and the answer was basically "no", although this "no" was
about 1 kilobyte long.

IMHO, email makes the turnaround time so short that editors could
change their mind a bit. If the author doesn't answer within 8 working
hours, too bad for him, but give him a change. For now, WWW is the
better option for serious publishing of technical articles.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>  -  Fax +49 40 522 85 36