Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 1999 17:22:09 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <brad@shub-internet.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Top-notch firewall config w/ FreeBSD?

Folks,

	I'm wondering if you can give me some advice on this issue, or if
you can give me guidance on where I should take this question
(freebsd-security?).

	Anyway, the short of it is that we're getting fed up paying high
hardware and astronomical software costs for our Firewall-1 setup,
and we're concerned that it may not be able to continue to scale with
us as we grow anyway.  In terms of the features, we're really not
making that much use of everything it can do, instead we're mostly
using it for packet filtering.

	Given all this, we're interested in the possibility of replacing
it with either a Linux or FreeBSD-based solution.  My personal
preference is FreeBSD, but we're probably going to need to at least
try a comparable Linux setup (if any such thing exists).

	What I'd like is to see what folks would recommend for use as a
primarily packet filtering firewall solution under FreeBSD that can
handle upwards of 150Mbps today (w/ Gigabit Ethernet NICs), and scale
to even higher levels in the future.

	Ideally this would be something that could do load-balancing and
high-availability as well, so that one system could take over the
whole load if the other should die.

	Thanks!

--
Brad Knowles <brad@shub-internet.org> <http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/>;
     <http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE38CCEF1>;

Your mouse has moved.   Windows NT must be restarted for the change to
take effect.   Reboot now?  [ OK ]