Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 2004 18:46:30 +0100
From:      "Markus Hoenicka" <markus.hoenicka@mhoenicka.de>
To:        Vonleigh Simmons <nospam@illusionart.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mysql won't start on boot

Vonleigh Simmons writes:
 > > /usr/local/etc/init.d/ which you have to rename to mysql.sh.
 >
 > 	I do have a file in rc.d:

Ah, sure. init.d is linuxish.

It just so happened that I installed a 5.3 box from scratch in the
last couple of days. MySQL wasn't installed yet, so I grabbed the
packages mysql-server-4.1.5.tbz and mysql-client-4.1.5.tbz. After
adding them, there were the following start scripts in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d:

000.mysql-client.sh
mysql-server.sh

I did not edit any config file but went right ahead to reboot the
box. mysqld came up as intended.

Do you use ports or a different MySQL version, by any chance?

What happens if you run "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh start"
manually? Does the log file enlighten you
(/var/db/mysql/[boxname].err)?

regards,
Markus

--