Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2001 21:07:05 -0600
From:      Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>
To:        Michael Imamura <gte255n@prism.gatech.edu>
Cc:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@atkielski.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Multi-processor Support

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 09:40:53AM -0500, Michael Imamura wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
>
> > Ted writes:
> >
> > > SMP kernels won't boot on some uniprocessor hardware.  Not a lot
> > > of them but some.
> >
> > Hmm.  What does NT do that FreeBSD doesn't?  NT will boot on both
> > uniprocessor and multiprocessor configurations.
>
> NT uses two different HALs, a uniprocessor HAL and a multiprocessor
> HAL.  When you install NT, the setup utility detects what kind of
> system you have and installs the appropriate version of the system
> files.
>
> This would be similar to FreeBSD shipping two kernels, one with the
> "SMP" line commented out in the config, and one with it left in.

This is what some Linux distributions are doing too.  The setup program
detects if there is more than one processor and loads the appropriate
kernel AND the appropriate set of kernel modules. Some of the Linux
kernel modules need to be compiled with options for SMP.

I guess it would be convenient if the FreeBSD installation program could
do this but this would be way down on the priority list.

--
Glenn Johnson
glennpj@charter.net