Date:      Fri, 04 Feb 2000 09:08:11 +1100
From:      Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (no subject)

Hullo Ben,

> Dan O'Connor wrote:
>
> > I'd do this:
> >
> > 64M - 128M for /
>
> I only use about 32MB for /, and it's always been enough so far. I
> sometimes move root's home directory to /usr/home/root though, since
> often dump loads of stuff there, forgetting it's filling up the root
> filesystem.

I hope you don't do this often :'/ If your device with /usr/home goes
'south' and you try to log in as root... guess what? No home directory
for root anymore :'( This could make a relatively simple task _very_
complicated and needlessly ugly.

Lessons to be learned? 1) leave root's home on the / partition; 2) don't
"dump loads of stuff there". Put it on /tmp if youmust dump it via the
root account. Better still, don't use root for anything othere than
system administration, use a "user" account.

hth,

|-|